Wednesday, December 17, 2008

lanterns

I was driving through Atlanta the other night with my friend Christi and as we began to approach the city this thought came to me that I haven't been able to shake. We were driving from Auburn to Atlanta and on the interstate there aren't any street lights besides the ones on the exit ramps directing cars to gas stations or fast food. So as we got closer to the city there seemed to appear more lighting along the highway. It was late when we arrived and it had been raining that day. The clouds that remained seemed to drift right on top of the skyscrapers with the glow of the city reflecting from them. As we got closer to downtown Atlanta I realized how mesmerizing the city lights were. We had been driving down the dark interstate with only head lights leading our way for so long that the street lights and buildings stacked on top of one another bombarded our vision with their glow. Then I had this vivid image roll through my mind of a small group of people walking in total darkness, carrying lit lanterns by their sides. Then slowly, as they walked by, this city began to come to life behind them. Then after a moment there was this skyline that lit up the night, glowing so brightly. And I turned around to see those same people continuing to walk forward with their lights by their side. As they continued to walk side-by-side, they walked confidently and at a steady pace. Their humble lights still glowing in the dark.

No comments: