Sunday, December 21, 2008

10

So, I decided to do a countdown of sorts for the ten days before I leave for Tokyo. I really love to travel and one of my favorite things is the airport. I love the whole idea of the airport. When you arrive you are about to start on a whole new journey, perhaps to a place all too familiar or perhaps somewhere new. When you return you are coming back with new perspective and new memories and to people that you love. But the best part about the airport, besides the smell of burnt coffee and the conglomerate of different food, is the people. The airport doesn't discriminate, there are people at every age and from every nationality, each with their own story and journey that collide in this one place for a short amount of time. People in airports fascinate me. One reason is because airports are this space where the whole spectrum of emotions interact on a constant basis. Anticipation can really abide at every step from the parking lot to the runway, it fluctuates differently within each person. Frustration usually lives on the first floor, near the baggage claim and the check in desk. Sadness floats near the departures of the ones we love. Joy meets us at the handing over of a boarding pass or the return to baggage claim after a trip. People don't always follow my nice little thought pattern of our emotional journey through the airport, and that's when airports become really intriguing. I could sit for hours and watch people as they scurry to their terminals, people are fascinating and funny that's for sure. One thing I would love to do someday is set aside a particular amount of money, pack a bag with enough clothes for a week or so, go the airport and figure out how far my savings can take me, buy a ticket and go. I adore being immersed in a new culture, being surrounded by new faces and hearing a new language. Life is an adventure. Be spontaneous.

No comments: