Monday, September 29, 2008

public declaration

Yesterday morning I had an amazing breakfast with Mary Reading at Big Blue Bagel. Mary is one my favorite people in the world, her heart for the nations is something too beautiful to articulate, I know that the Lord is going to use her in incredible ways all around the world. I am so blessed to have the friends that I do! I love being able to sit and truly connect with someone, to talk about the tough things in life and laugh about life all in the same conversation. There was a breath of fresh air breathed into me after my conversation with Mary. God is amazing [well duh], but particularly in this circumstance, because He speaks to His children through His children: that's marvelous. After she left for work, I had a little time before class so I cleared off our table to read. As I cleared the table I began to notice all the things that had been carved into the table. I'm guessing that they have been there for a long time, but yesterday was the first time that I really paid any attention to them. They ranged from Greek letters, names, hearts and dates. I'm not sure what thought process happens that compels people to carve things into the tables of public restaurants, but I can't help but think they are emotions or feelings that run deep in them. All these names and dates symbolized something to someone, it was a way of publically declaring their heart. Whether carving those feelings into a table in a public restuarant was the best way to express them, that's arguable, but the fact is that they did. I paused for a moment before I began to read and thought:
what is my life declaring? who/what is my life publically declaring love for?

No comments: