Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Nanan

On Sunday around 11:00 a.m. Nanan, the last legacy of my grandparent's generation from New Orleans, passed away. I wrote about going to visit with her in August and that time will be forever priceless to me. Looking back it was honestly a gift to be there by myself with my family. I am so thankful that I got to sit, just her and I for hours on end immersed in fading black and white photos that told the story of their lives in Louisiana. Nanan was the keeper of so many family stories. She was the keeper of my grandmother's childhood. She was incredibly kind and full of joy. The sweet New Orleans draw in her voice hit this spot in my heart that made me want to smile and cry at the same time. That voice was just familiar in the strangest way, it was comforting and loving. I guess after hearing all their stories, the tone struck a cord that grew roots of appreciation and respect for them so much deeper in me. I can't wait to go back to New Orleans and sit at Cafe du Monde and dream through their experiences for a few moments. Nanan, I miss you already. I love you so much.

No comments: