Wednesday, January 28, 2009

day 8

[day 8] why I miss tsumagoi
Around 6:30 on our last day my friend Charlotte and I got up early to take pictures. A quiet fog had crept in over night and settled over the ground to greet us. My favorite place by our hotel was this little chapel. I am not really sure why I loved it so much, but we passed it every time we walked to our classroom and I didn't mind when the kids wanted to linger and stare out the window because I did too. It is a simple little while chapel, a quaint bell tower and this beautiful dark gray stone walk way that leads up to it. I might have stood under the bell tower for a while that morning, just staring up. After our photo shoot Charlotte and I joined the team for breakfast and headed straight to our rooms to greet the kids smiling faces.
Our last day with the kids we had so much fun. It was a great day, but I felt like the kids knew something was really different that day. My little buddy, Arata followed close to me all day and cried for the first time all week. When more of the kids started to get upset Mrs. Janice thought that it would be a good idea to have nap time, I agreed. Our kids normally didn't take naps so we had to 'trick' them into nap time. We got all our pillows in a semi-circle and played Simon Says. Mrs. Janice would say "Simon-says, 'Sit on your pillow', Simon says, 'Lay down', Simon says, 'Pretend like your asleep.'" I know it sounds kind of lame, but it worked, perhaps too well. Ms. Malorie might have fallen asleep with the kids that day- I know, falling asleep on the job, really responsible, but Mrs. Janice was awake no worries. She decided to tell that story to all of our team members, and I kindly reminded her each time that I was just following directions. After we had nap time we played with play-dough for a while then went to practice for the program that night. All of the classes put on a small program for the parents, since pre-schoolers have a short attention span on a good day, we decided to do something simple. When we asked what song they would like to sing they all resounded, in unison, "Jesus loves me!!". Do they know the words? Yes, well some of them anyway. A couple observations: the two kids that loved to sing this song were almost silent when they were on stage and Timothy (who likes to stick things up his nose) he would randomly shout words that he remembered. Despite the seemingly scattered performance of our class, I loved to see their faces light up as they sang, I can't help but think that God was so delighted to hear their small voices singing/shouting this song.
Here's a video of our practice from that afternoon:
[after watching this you'll understand why I miss them so much]

The program that night went so well and it ended with a couple named Tom and Karol who talked about their 25 years on the field in Japan. She had the most gentile spirit, but she was bold when she spoke of the gospel. She absolutely loves the Japanese and it was just so neat to hear how the Lord continued to show her favor as she walked in obedience. As they spoke about their experiences and about each other I cried almost the whole time; wishing that I could remember every word and memory they shared, but I really loved just hearing about their marriage and how they loved each other out of the overflow of the Lord's love in them. These are the little notes I scribbled down when I got back to my room about Tom and Karol:

  • always giving more
  • true radicals
  • in tune with the Spirit
  • prayer warriors
  • Godly marriage
  • gentle words

One thing I will always remember Karol saying is that "it's for eternity that we serve." I am deeply compelled by that thought. To be in constant recognition that it's for eternity that I live and breathe. I could talk about that statement for a long time, but I hope it encourages you too. Here are some snapshots of our last day in Tsumagoi:

No comments: