Friday, January 16, 2009

day 5

[day 5] the kids

We traveled to Tsumagoi [Tsumagoi is about 3 1/2 hours from Tokyo, near Mt. Fuji] the day before and also had the chance to set up the children's rooms in our hotel. We had to be very creative with our space to say the least.
The morning had finally come for us to meet these precious kids that we had only known the names of for so long. They slowly showed up one by one with their parents kindly guiding them into our small room. As I started to know their names and hear their stories, they started to steal pieces of my heart. I had no idea this first day at Tsumagoi the amount of laughter that would echo through the room throughout the week. I know that some people may not understand why I traveled halfway across the world to take care of 2 and 3 year olds, but I can tell you that it was such a joy to be able to serve the missionary parents that I met. I can assure you that it was worth every moment.
About halfway through the day we had a much needed 45 minute break for lunch. We walked the kids to meet their parents and took a seat with our team in the dining room. [For breakfast and dinner we had buffet style Japanese meals, but for lunch everyone was served the same traditional Japanese meal] This particular day we had soup and beef cooked with egg on top of rice-we ate lots of rice. The meal itself looked great, but as we began to survey the table closer we noticed our 'dessert'. Here is a picture of my pal Sandy with our dessert:
I love trying new food, especially in a foreign country, but when someone describes a 'dessert' as "this jello, sweet bean paste like type-thing that is in flavored juice"- I have to draw the line. This thing looked like a green slug. But my dear pal Sandy loves Coca-Cola and so I told her if she ate our dessert I would buy her a coke, well folks, she took the dare. She said that the texture felt like chewing an oyster. Yum.
The rest of our day with the kids was really great. As expected, 2 and 3 year olds bring lots of laughter. When I got back to my room that night, I got ready for bed, laid down on our concrete-like pillow and fell asleep almost instantly.

No comments: