Tuesday, October 14, 2008

the line under the name

I was sitting in my drugs & behavior class this morning and we were watching a video about the meth problem in Atlanta. Every so often there would be an interview with someone and as their interview progressed there would be a box that popped up under their picture which contained their name and their job title or former addiction. There was one lady in particular who caught my attention...As she began to describe her former addiction to meth she said, "you never know who it's affecting, I used to teach VBS, I have two small children, I had a husband, seemingly great life on the outside." The only description under her name during the interview was "Former Meth Addict". I began to wonder, if given the opportunity, what she would place in the line under her name. Perhaps she wouldn't change it, perhaps she would, and have it say, "mother"or "believer"...that same thought lead to the concern that her past, specifically her addiction, has defined her for far too long. So often I feel as though we label people based on one aspect of who they were. I know it is almost impossible to describe oneself in one word or phrase, but my prayer is that I can begin to move past the habit of defining people by who they were or one thing they did and seeing the true identity of who they are. I know I have been shown indescribable grace, saved by one true Love. I wonder what would be placed under the line of my name. What would yours be?

1 comment:

LaShell said...

the line under your name would read "beautiful" ....your face and smile and heart and vision and passion and example of life...are all "beautiful" !!!!