Saturday, August 30, 2008

now tell me about this picture...

right before school started i went to go visit some of my dad's family in gulf shores. my main reason for visiting was to get to know my grandmother's sister, Doris Doar, affectionately known to us as "Nanan". my grandmother passed away from ovarian cancer when i was about 1 1/2 so i never had the chance to know her. both of my dad's parents were from the new orleans area. my great grandmother was actually an immigrant from france, so my papa spoke french and english fluently. . . needless to say i love learning about my family history. i think it's one of the most important things for me personally to understand if i truly want to know my family and where i came from. this photo is just a small portion of the box full of pictures that i got to bring back with me from my trip.

nanan, her daughter-in-law, and i spent almost all day saturday sorting through pictures and labeling family portraits. nanan said that one of her favorite memories growing up was looking at pictures and hearing stories with HER grandmother. i loved hearing about my grandmother and her personality. things that she loved. how much she loved my papa and how much they enjoyed living in new orleans. these pictures to me are just small glimpses into my sweet family. glimpses that encourage me to truly know my family, to invest fully into the people i love, to understand and appreciate my grandparents and my parents for that matter.

these glimpses are priceless.

2 comments:

rebekah said...

i love it! i'm so glad i got to look at these with you

Unknown said...

I found your blog while googling "Doris Doar" - Doris and Frank were my grandparents, which makes me your second cousin. If you wish, please email me: jeffdoar@gmail.com.

Regards,
Jeff Doar
Allen, TX (Dallas suburb)