Sunday, September 27, 2009

right, left, then right again

There are actions and reactions we all learn as we grow up. Obviously those lessons are relative to your family structure growing up and your culture. One of the first lessons i learned growing up was to look both ways before crossing the street. As I would sprint towards the door to go outside, even before my hand could turn the door knob, my parents were gently reminding me of this. At first the application only happened through a conscious effort. As my toes paralleled the edge of the sidewalk, I would stop, look right, left, then right again; and if the coast was clear, make my way across the road. Eventually, I began to chime in as my parents repeated this lesson; not only hearing the lesson over again, but echoing it aloud as well. It began to happen naturally. It was most certainly ingrained in my mind. I heard, I was reminded, I echoed, I learned, and I acted. Lessons learned have all seemed to eventually play out this way. But as my toes parallel a new sidewalk on a new latitude and longitude, I feel as though this lesson has applied itself in a fresh and deeper sense. The sight of this great city and all it entails finds me running towards the door eager to experience what is just beyond the door frame. The lessons I've learned echo through mind, and I find myself repeating them aloud as my hand stretches for the door. But before I act, I draw back to what I know to be true. And today and in this season, I find that I am functioning out of a foundation that has been built over years preparing me for these very days. I've had time to evaluate my roots. Light had been shed on the things I need to purge from my life and things that stir my heart. I have heard the Lord's voice so clearly, and as I continue to learn, I want my life to be in sync with those words that give me life. I elaborate all this to say, that I desperately don't want to learn how to live and forget why I'm living. For if I lose sight of why, I have lost the heart behind my living and my living will amount to nothing more than a robotic skit played out to imitate what I am truly created for. As my hand turns the door knob opening up my heart to something so new, Isaiah 30:21 turns itself over in my mind: 'Whether you turn to the right or the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, "This is the way, walk in it."

No comments: