Wednesday, September 2, 2009

all the boxes checked

Yesterday we returned to our apartment with all the boxes on our to-do list checked off. As we are still transitioning into daily life in Hong Kong, it is a rare occasion that we get everything done that we set out to do at the beginning of the day. Granted, most of the things we want to do are not absolutely pertinent, but they don't need to be neglected either. I'm starting to learn the careful balance of structure and flexibility here. I have found that the day goes much smoother if you can embrace the unexpected, enjoy the moments that extend beyond your schedule and in the same thought, enjoy when there is a surprise catalyst set into lengthy processes.
Among the many things we did yesterday was getting haircuts. Because I have the world's best beautician as my mom this was most certainly a different experience. I have been spoiled in this arena because my wonderful mom always let me be too picky and fidgety when she cut my hair. At 'Salon Red Hair' I had to sit still and trust that the girl cutting my hair was able to translate my hand motions that I tried to produce for my lack of Cantonese. The shampoo before the hair cut was worth the visit in itself. They took 20 minutes to wash our hair, aka: massage our head. It was lovely, slightly weird at some points, like when the guy started tapping my forehead, but overall lovely. Following the wash, I was led to the chair and with my picture in hand I tried again to explain as simply as I could what I wanted. She nodded and I hoped for the best. She took a while to cut my hair. Carefully sectioning off different layers eight or ten times throughout the whole cut. I kept trying to peek up through the front of my hair that was swept in front of my eyes. But as soon as I would even slightly lift my head up higher or tilt it farther than she wanted she would gently use both hands to correct it's positioning. Taking deep breaths, I just closed my eyes and sat patiently till she started to cut the front. Just when I thought
she was about to be finished she started lifting different parts of my hair and running the scissors down both sides. I guess that is the replacement for thinning shears here in Hong Kong. All I could see was thick layers of hair falling all around the chair. Again, deep breaths. She blow dried it for me and after she was finished she asked what I thought, this is what I found in the reflection...
It's different, definitely shorter and thinner than ever, but I'm getting used to it. I was nervous because last time I had really short hair was in my early years of high school and I looked like I had a pumpkin for a face and no one intervened to tell me until WAY later. Years later.
Today has started out great as well. Took my first adventure alone to run some errands and made it back safely with most of the things I was looking for. Now I'm off to the pool with two of my favorite girls, Miss Katie and Mrs Catherine. Looking forward to family dinner tonight at the Deans!
[mom: thank you for always being so patient with me when i was wiggling around and being so particular when you cut my hair. you are SO talented at what you do. know that you are loved and appreciated. wish you could have experienced my haircut adventure with me]

3 comments:

Biscuet said...

i got my hairs cut yesterday too. It's always an interesting experience. From a few brief conversations i've had about haircuts, here is what i've learned: Chinese people have an extra protein in their hair that causes it to be course and thick like it is, that's why layering and thinning is really common. That fact has not been verified, but it's good enough reason for me. And like you, my hair is super thin today too... but it's all part of life in Asia i suppose.

Chickie said...

Your new do looks cute! I am also the daughter of a beautician and the motto that I lived by from a very young age was "it's only hair...it'll grow back". It saw me through many decades of hair fads that Mom wanted to test out on me! We are so glad you are adjusting well and praying for a continued smooth transition for you all.

The Stevens Family
(friends of the Deans)

Brandy said...

Becca Beers and I loves it!! We think it's totes cute!! The layering in the front is super adorable and we agreed that you'll look cute with any haircut. In fact, we are now googling the pumpkin style to imagine what you looked like in junior high!! :-)