Tuesday, February 10, 2009

quiet trade

A couple nights ago I went with some friends to see the movie 'Taken'. My advice: If you want to walk out of a movie theater unchanged at the end of the movie: don't see this movie. If you want to sit on your couch and separate yourself from the injustice of the world at the end of the 6 o'clock news: don't watch this movie. It's a story of a father who desperately searches for his teenage daughter who has been kidnapped and sold into sex trafficking. For obvious reasons, this movie was incredibly hard to watch. But beyond those reasons my heart broke because this was not just a movie, it was a small story that unveiled a disturbing reality that happens every single day around the world. As the credits began to roll at the end of the film I fought with a lot of different emotions. The first wave were just how selfish I am so much of the time. The things that I worry about are just ridiculous sometimes. The next wave of feelings were urgent anger at what was happening. There are girls who don't have anyone looking for them. They don't get to go home at the end of the credits, this is reality for them. Unthinkable things are happening to girls of all ages in this sickening quiet trade. I pray that our generation will cease to pretend like people don't have clean water to drink, people are still sold into slavery and women and children are being sold into sex trafficking. This movie struck chords deep in me that will not allow me to stay quiet at the face of injustice. The good news in the midst of all my thoughts is that my God is a God of justice. My God redeems the broken and heals them. I still don't know what my role in fighting injustice looks like but I do know I can not pretend as though it doesn't exist.

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

i am with you. this has been so heavy on my heart lately. i have been trying to learn more and find where my place to fight it may be...let me know any updates. i would love to fight alongside you in this!

liz