Thursday, February 12, 2009

burnt cookies

As I was searching for something sweet for desert tonight I
remembered I had about half a roll of cookie dough left in my frig.
My oven tends to be very temperamental and somehow when it is merely
warming up it will set off my smoke detector. So, tonight I decided to outsmart
my smoke detector and remove the battery before baking cookies to avoid the piercing noise
of the alarm in the midst of my oven heating.
I was feeling extra adventurous tonight and thought I would try to make the cookies a little thicker than usual.
I love cookies that are crisp on the edges and soft in the middle. Yum.
I digress...So I placed the dough on the pan and called my mom to catch up a little bit.
For some reason the simple 'hello' on the other end of the phone sent me into tears.
I really miss my family today.
So in the middle of trying to explain to my mom that I was just homesick and not seriously injured or something I smell smoke.
The cookies had been in the oven for about 5 minutes and they were well, crisp.

My oven may be a bit temperamental and unreliable really, but tonight the fault was all mine.
Mom jokes about how she rarely cooks, but of all the things she does make, her break-and-bake cookies are always good.
Perhaps I'll make a normal batch of cookies in my oven before I graduate.

No comments: