Monday, February 2, 2009

"phone a friend"

I really enjoy my Human Development and Family Studies classes. Really, I do. I know that there are people who think my major is a joke and they are entitled to their opinion. I have a heart to work with people and I feel like my major has adequately prepared me to do that in a lot of ways. I have studied long hours and contrary to popular belief I haven't skipped my way through semesters on my way to graduation. Stepping off my soapbox... Most of the people in the College of Human Sciences are girls. And sometimes we have courses that promote discussion. This term 'discussion' bothers me when it is abused. I love to hear people's stories and different opinions, but some HDFS classrooms turn into a time when people share personal details that somehow become a catalyst for the rest of the class to tell when their "Aunt's cat's daughter's uncle's mom's grandmother's dad's goldfish experienced the same thing." This thought started today by an answer given to this question posed by my instructor:

"How do you think text messaging or internet communication has changed the way we communicate with one another today?"

[answer] "Well in the past I have learned that text messaging helps boys to lie about where they are and who they are with. It's just better to call so you can hear the background."

It is in moments like these when I wish that our teacher could give them the "phone a friend" option. There is a lot of bitterness built up in that answer. I am sad that the word text message is directly correlated with lies in her mind. Hopefully someone has sent her a friendly text since then. In this particular class today, the teacher allowed story time to continue from 12:00 till 12:50. We didn't go over any of the notes he passed out. None. All that to say, I wish that teachers had the "phone a friend" option to give to students who divulge too much information in class.

No comments: