Thursday, July 31, 2008

differences

Last night a group of friends and I were watching the show So You Think You Can Dance, it's my favorite show. I know not everyone enjoys shows like this, and that's totally fine, actually that's part of the basis of this post. But this show in particular is one of very few shows I make a point to sit and watch every week if I am at home.
I was sitting in a room full of about fifteen or twenty people and as soon as the intro music began to play on the T.V. the volume in the room went up and everyone began discussing who they wanted to stay and who had the best technique, so on and so forth. I, too, have my own opinions and thoughts about each dancer. Dance was my outlet from reality throughout most of my life and my appreciation for dance is close to my heart. Back to my point...VERY soon into our discussion of our different favorites and dance styles many people in the room became defensive and seemingly appalled that other people didn't agree 100% with what they thought was best. And in the midst of the chaos I found myself retracted into my own thoughts about how a simple difference in opinion sparked so much emotion in people.
Praise the Lord that we are all created differently and uniquely. I think that we all enjoy and appreciate different things for a reason, I just wish we could learn to embrace each others differences. If the energy we spent trying to convince someone we were right, or our opinion was better, was spent discovering why someone may have a different opinion or thought than us- this world would be a radically different place. I can't begin to fathom the response to love and truth that could take place.
I understand this thought sparked from a simple t.v. show, and that sometimes there are times when fighting for what is right is just- in the case of truth and true life. I understand that, please don't miss what I'm trying to say.
My point is that I am challenged by my experience last night to embrace the different passions and interests and opinions of my friends with a different attitude, I hope you will too.
There is a world full of beautifully diverse people. Embrace them.
This is one of my favorite pieces from SYTYCD: