Tuesday, May 4, 2010

tuesday

Tuesday started out with a to-do list and a cup of coffee. I love a list, as I've mentioned a time or two. This love can get out of hand sometimes, hence the reason for consolidating into one to-do list for the next month that includes all things big and small to be done. All that to say, the morning yielded much more productivity and a sense of calm knowing how to best allocate my time in the weeks ahead. In the early afternoon I headed out into the city placing a couple check marks by requested souvenirs from Hong Kong. And after my scavenger hunt was done, I still had about an hour until I was supposed to meet Jas for dinner at the Turkish restaurant. Considering the crowds were only growing thicker in the midst of the markets, I decided that time would be well spent with a book and a cup of Turkish tea rather than frustrated at being ricocheted in between shoppers in a frenzy. When I reached the restaurant, it was empty apart from one of the brothers that runs the restaurant. He invited me to sit down and a conversation started that left my heart heavy for this friend. In respect to his situation I won't go into detail, but shortly after our conversation started Jason arrived and the conversation continued into a place of real honesty. I was so thankful that no other costumers had arrived and that my bookmark didn't move that afternoon so that conversation was able to happen. Those moments of sharing life with people on a genuine heart level, those are priceless. It was there that my heart was reminded of what I've been reading lately about not only being hearers of the truth but doers. For in the union of those two things, we are not left the same. But to step out in faith seems risky. For it is not always logical, it is definitely not always comfortable. What would it look like to risk loving people well? To risk asking hard questions, to risk going out of your way, to risk feeling misunderstood, to risk not being loved in return, to risk in light of the love that satiates the heart of every believer. In all honesty, I think it's hardly a risk at all. If our hope is secure, our purpose set, our portion enough- the risks I listed above seem to be erased. And in that knowledge, there is such freedom to love well without reservation.

No comments: