Friday, January 1, 2010

first note of eternity

I apologize for the lack of posts over the past couple weeks. The holidays here were rich and celebrating in a different culture and context most certainly yielded a deeper appreciation for the season. I love that when people asked why we celebrate we found ourselves congregating at the heart of the gospel: Emmanuel God with us. After the advent candles were extinguished, we looked back at our ebenezers that have helped form the last year and received perspective for the the days unraveling into the new year. Part of perspective came on Sunday night at church as 4 dear brothers and sisters shared their testimony and what God is continuing to do in their lives. I love hearing people's stories; how the Lord pursues after hearts and how his creativity is expressed in the redemption of lives all over the globe. Despite their varying ages, backgrounds, & experiences, one thread was constant through each story: God's compassion is abundant and he is always, always faithful.
Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him"
The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him;
it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.
Lamentations 3:21-26
After testimonies were shared, the band gathered on the stage and the music started out slow. Quietly my heart raced as I began to think about what the first note of eternity's song will sound like. What it will mean to be present in that moment, all the things that will have come to pass, and people from every nation gathered before the throne joining in to praise the One who is eternally faithful. It was one of those moments that I did not want to pass quickly. I wanted to just linger there for a while, to soak in the weight of eternity's song. But as my little brain reached it's capacity for recognition of the moment at hand I found myself joining in the chorus around me here in Hong Kong left with the joy granted by fresh perspective, eternal perspective, from the Lord. I pray that thought will continue to propel me into this year and through the rest of my days. What a privilege to be called a child of God and to share his great story of pursuit.
Oh how he loves us.
Here's to a new year.
So excited about what's ahead.

No comments: