Friday, October 30, 2009

comma problem

Main Entry: com·ma
Pronunciation: \ˈkä-mə\
Function: noun
Etymology: Late Latin, from Latin, part of a sentence, from Greek komma segment, clause, fromkoptein to cut — more at capon
Date: 1554

1 : a punctuation mark , used especially as a mark of separation within the sentence [2 : pause, interval ] 3 : any of several nymphalid butterflies (genus Polygonia) with a silvery comma-shaped mark on the underside of the hind wings

I just love a comma. Over half of the commas I use when I write are not necessary, or in, the, wrong, place. If this misappropriation has irritated you, caused frustration, given you urges to punch your computer screen, or caused your finger to move that mouse over the [X] on the corner of the screen and click out of my blog before you could get past the first paragraph; please know that these efforts of misuse are not intentional. In all honesty, I just place them where my thoughts take a pause. I always heard that commas were like a pause in a sentence, so there's my simple (most likely way off base) logic. If you've noticed my misappropriation of the comma, please except my apology.

No comments: