Tuesday, March 24, 2009

memory

"What would it look like for imagination to overtake memory in your life?"
I came across this question while reading through Wild Goose Chase. My thoughts have been accompanied by this question a lot over the past few days. I heard a sermon not too long ago about memory and it's importance in our lives. I think it necessary to address the obvious to a degree: memory is a God given gift. Memory enables us to learn, to retain truth, to recall, to reflect, to reminisce, (to do lots of things that begin with 'r' for me apparently...) the list extends and adapts to each individual. But I think there is a point when my memory can thwart my imagination; rendering me incapable of moving forward. How often have I looked back on what was and try to plan out what is going to be instead of just letting God stir my imagination. Apart from the Lord, I am most certainly an invalid source for what will happen in the future. I would merely be making assumptions based on my circumstances. Those assumptions could only be made from memories, memories that can conger up experiences when I was hurt and even times when things went really well. The bottom line being: my reliance upon my own memory leaves room for assumptions of every kind to form. I think assumptions are the product of a lack of trust; and left unattended their roots are left only to grow. Then when the bottom falls out and I am searching for my foundation, it scares me to think that the roots of assumption have had any opportunity to lay over truth and dress themselves as part of my belief. I know I don't have it all figured out, but so far I do know that I want to be surrendered and in tune with the leading of the Holy Spirit. May I never be the blockade hindering progression. I'm ready to let Him dream through every facet of me.

No comments: