Tuesday, September 14, 2010

slicing and dicing

Confession #1: Today I was in the kitchen for 4 hours straight.
Confession #2: I really love being in the kitchen. I think it used to be a place that scared me. Yep, scared. Not nightmare, scared for my life scared. Scared in the sense that it was more than likely I was going to burn whatever I was cooking, or myself (which I still frequently do). I find myself lingering in the kitchen wondering what I could bake, or how I could make a meal out of whatever may happen to be in the refrigerator, or trying a new recipe when no one is home just in case it tanks miserably. This recent love affair with trying to be a culinary legend in my own mind has been accompanied by a repeat disorder with an Otis Redding album. Over and over. I'm sure my roommates are sick of it, but the kitchen doesn't seem to function as smoothly without some good music in my book. So, here's to more "Try A Little Tenderness" & olive oil.
Because I know you're just dying to know tonight's menu:
Steamed Broccoli
Fresh Corn on the Cob
and the finale: chocolate chip doozies (sorry Cat, I know you little less than hate that word)

2 comments:

scott and cat said...

I'm up so ridiculously early. Been up since about 3:00. And read this little tid bit. Oh how you know me too well. Wish I could have taste tested your menu. So happy to be on the same side of the world with you again!

Chickie said...

Have you been scouring the Pioneer Woman's website? Cowboy Chicken sounds like an entree straight from her table! I know exactly what you mean about the music. Usually can't stand the extra noise, but when I have time to really enjoy cooking (instead of slinging something together to race out the door again), I like to listen to good music. There is a rhythm to cooking, and it works better set to a rhythm! Would love to see you maybe on our next trip to GA? (You ARE in GA now, right??)