Tuesday, November 10, 2009

in transition

This little snapshot is a part of my everyday. {Disclaimer: If you think this is my version of Where's Waldo, you can give your eyes a rest; there is nothing particularly special about this photo. But it does give you a small glimpse into the view that spurred the following thoughts.} This little intersection, like most of Hong Kong, is a place of transition. When I happened to peek over the railing to capture this view, it was early in the afternoon and traffic was low. But as I stood there for a moment I realized that no one stopped. Everyone was in motion, in constant transition: going, coming, to here, from there; and in this particular place, I do the same thing. I don't think about stopping because there is really no reason to. Yet, whenever someone pauses in the midst of the sea of people, my eyes are drawn into what they are doing and I reason that they must have a purpose for taking on a new role as a blockade to the oncoming flow of people. People don't just hit the brakes when life beckons them to do the opposite. But what if there was a reason to stop. Stop moving so fast. Stop talking so much. Stop traveling on autopilot through all too familiar places. What if there was a reason to stop and listen?What if there was life to be gained and love to be known? What if no one took the time to stop and speak truth, how would they hear? What if it meant there was risk involved? My heart sank in my chest as I became overwhelmed with the thought that most of the individuals scurrying past my line of vision were of the ones whom have not heard. As my life continues to unfold alongside them, I don't want to miss knowing who they really are. But what if, what if I stopped, what if they stopped and listened? Not to draw attention to myself or become a blockade, but to speak of the One who loved them before time began. The One who has pursued them relentlessly with his grace. Oh the great privilege it is to tell the story of redemption in Jesus.
If I have lost you in the middle of my analogy, I apologize. If you are worried that I am on my way to the MTR station with a bullhorn and a box to stand on, rest assured that is not the case. The point being that we move ever more swiftly through this life. And as we are equipped with the gospel, we can not continue on in silence. We must take the time to stop and share.
How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed?
And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?
And how are they to hear without someone preaching? ...
Romans 10:14.

3 comments:

Brandy said...

MAl this was absolutely amazing. great analogy. great joke about the box and horn. great encouragement from romans. just so great! Thanks for encouraging me continuously from the other side of the globe. Auburn and I miss you much. love you!

Chickie said...

Love this! What a beautiful picture, and how true it is! It makes my heart yearn to be there.

maggieandzach said...

mals...love this truth! and don't worry, you didn't loose me...remember, we speak the same language. i love you.