Tuesday, November 18, 2008

abide

[Abide] in me and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, neither can you, unless you [abide] in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever [abides] in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not [abide] in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you [abide] in me and my words [abide] in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. [Abide] in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will [abide] in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and [abide] in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.
[john 15:4-11]
As this semester begins to come to a close, I have found myself looking back at how God has so brilliantly shown Himself to me and how He is bringing my time in Auburn to a close. I begin to think about all the things I wanted to do when I first arrived here and all the things I'd still love to do while I'm here. But I am humbled by the thought that even in my greatest efforts and best intentions, He is the source of growth and fruit.
I am called to abide. To remain in Him. When I remain in Him the desires of my heart flow from His own. When I remain in Him I am secure. When I remain in Him I love people the way that I am called to. When I remain in Him more of me is hallowed out and more of Him is infiltrating the depths of me.
These words spark something in my heart that just makes me fall in love with Jesus all over again. A call to come in close and abide in him. It just echoes this call to come alive.
I know that I have said this time and time again, but so many things have changed for me this semester and in the midst of that change I still find one constant, one guarantee and that's His unfailing love for me.

No comments: