Friday, February 26, 2010

it's a process

On Christmas morning Matt & April made these fantastic cinnamon rolls. We're talking about made from scratch, way too much sugar, delicious cinnamon rolls. So I gathered some gumption, the recipe from April, encouragement and help from Jason, and decided I would attempt to make them as well.
Let's pause and go over some basic information:
  • Matt & April are amazing cooks
  • I am an amateur at best, but I enjoy learning [effort counts for something right?]
  • bullet points were probably not necessary, but I am glad you're still reading this.
This past baking session was stroke 3 in my attempt tally box. And it proved to be the best one yet. I'll be the first to tell you that I'm still in the process of learning how to cook, but this
recipe is a process in and of itself.
We're talking about a couple hours of mixing, kneading, waiting , rolling, sprinkling, rolling, sprinkling [I recently learned the art of rolling c-rolls. Yes, I said art, it takes practice people.] and cutting- before there is a plethora of cinnamon rolls across the kitchen. I function best when a recipe includes exact measurements, far too detailed step by step instructions, and pictures just make my day [Hence the reason I can get lost in recipes from TasteSpotting & Pioneer Woman far too often]. Well, this little cinnamon roll recipe leaves room for a little flexibility. So, whether it suits your fancy, or cramps your baking style, I thought I'd share just in case you were in the market for a new recipe. I'll be sure to keep you updated on upcoming tally marks. Hope you enjoy!
Parry Rolls from: twopeasandtheirpod.com
2 packages yeast, dissolved in 1 cup lukewarm water
6 tablespoons shortening
1 cup sugar
7 cups flour or more as needed (it will take more)
2 cups hot water
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon salt
Softened butter
Brown sugar
Raisins
Cinnamon
[remember that flexibility thing we talked about: example A]
Add yeast to cup of lukewarm water and sprinkle in a little sugar. Set aside for about 5 minutes. Add shortening, sugar, and salt to hot water ad cool to lukewarm. Stir in 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast and mix again until smooth.
Add beaten eggs.
Stir in remained of flour, a little at a time until no more can be mixed in. Remove the mixer attachment and knead by hand, adding flour until dough does not stick to the bowl. Remove from bowl and knead until dough feels satiny and looks smooth [this is where I need a picture] .
Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
Lightly knead and roll out into rectangular shape. Spread with softened butter. Sprinkle on brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon. (Make sure you use lots of brown sugar...you can omit the raisins, and sprinkle on loads of cinnamon [loads: how much is that?]. we never measure but be very generous [never measure: glad I'm following your recipe: example D].)
Roll into one long roll. To cut use a piece of string or floss.
Place on well greased pans and let rise until double in bulk. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350 and bake until brown- only about 5-7 more minutes. After cooled frost.
frosting recipe
Butter
Vanilla
Powdered Sugar
Milk
I'm not sure on the amount [yes, the recipe really says this]! Whisk until you get the right consistency and frost the rolls.

2 comments:

Ashleigh said...

I spend way too much free time looking at the pioneer woman and have read through the cinnamon roll directions at least a half dozen times but have yet to attempt the recipe! It's still too intimidating.
Yummm! I am sure they were very, very good!
I've been praying for your processing through HK. Be encouraged- we are always in his hidden hand.

rebekah said...

yum. i'm on my way over